Great Weapon Knights

Grandmaster marc
Hardened Vet

Great Weapon Knights

Postby Grandmaster marc » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:25 pm

My next purchase will be a box of knights to finish my 2 knight units off and grab more white wolf bits. My problem is, is that should i save the extra 4 knights to put in my Great weapon knights? I heard in the past that they should be 3 ranks deep and I was wondering if I should still do that.

To add to this question, should demigryphs get a second rank?

Opinions?
"To take a town, send a legionary. To take a city, send a squad. To take a world, send a company. To take a culture, send a Chapter."

-Popular Ultramarines Aphorism

Commander_Jay
Lord Requisitioner

Re: Great Weapon Knights

Postby Commander_Jay » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:36 pm

Save them? Or what? Sell them or trade them?

Knights with 1 rank are ok, but a second rank adds one more rider attack per model, and absorbs a few more wounds.

A third rank absorbs even more wounds before you start losing attacks.

Demigryph second ranks are expensive, only adding a little attacks, but they would add a lot of wounds. But they cost a lot of points.
-Commander Jay

"If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Grandmaster marc
Hardened Vet

Postby Grandmaster marc » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:11 pm

probably sell or trade them. yes, I understand that but is it worth the points specifically for the Great Weapon knights. I guess it really depends on what they are used for.
"To take a town, send a legionary. To take a city, send a squad. To take a world, send a company. To take a culture, send a Chapter."

-Popular Ultramarines Aphorism

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:31 pm

Remember, in this edition you can't cancel a rank bonus without at least 2 ranks yourself. So fielding 10 at a time might be beneficial.

I'm not sure a second rank would be worth it, you'd be better off with a second unit.

~J

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:22 pm

I'd recommend a second rank of regular knights, but not the demigryph knights. Monstrous infantry with a rank or two behind the first is absolutely worth it, but monstrous cav is tougher.

I don't have my rulebook handy, but are monstrous cav subject to the same limitation as regular cav, i.e. mounts cannot make supporting attacks? If so, I would say a definite no.

Regular cav, however, are not AS expensive and the mounts tend to have one, crappy attack, so that's not a big loss. Empire great weapon cav can hit pretty hard, with S5/6, and are fairly durable with a 2+ armor save, but only five, six or seven aren't going to get much of anything done. In the flank, they won't knock our your opponent's rank bonus, and you're only talking 6/7/8 attacks if you have a champion. Half will miss, so they don't have a TON of hitting power with one rank. But run them 5x3, or 6/7x2 and you double your hitting power AND can knock out that pesky rank bonus. Just keep them away from things like Ironguts, Chaos Warriors and Swordmasters/White Lions.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Commander_Jay
Lord Requisitioner

Postby Commander_Jay » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:14 pm

Kinne wrote:mounts cannot make supporting attacks

Correct.

So additional ranks of monstrous mounts add only one rider attack each.

For normal cav, 5x3 works great to deny ranks once you're flanking. 5x2 stops working once you lose one model.
-Commander Jay

"If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Return to “Empire”