For the Empire!

Commander_Jay
Lord Requisitioner

For the Empire!

Postby Commander_Jay » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:59 pm

So the Empire is my new army, and I'm finding all sorts of fun things to do with them.

And to make a first post here, I'm going to ramble on about things I've liked. Although to use all of them, I'd need to play like 4000 points.

I'm trying to master the core troops, because I assume battles will be won or lost with them. Does anyone else prefer hordes, or normal sized blocks? On one hand I dont want to be attacked, and was thinking of making my troops 5 wide, but many ranks deep (love being stubborn!). But a horde of halberds is scary. Add in a Arch Lector, and you wont fear anything. I think I'd add on about 15 Swordsmen, as a detachment to deny ranks. I was also thinking of another detachment of handgunners, but if I do that then they cant take a Hochland Long Rifle. Maybe 4 units of handgunners with long rifles to deter wizards and BSBs?

Of course the Artillery is great, especially the Mortars. That little guy is unfair, removing a unit in a single shot. I sorta feel bad for using them, but it seems ok when I dont have a super sized monster, or devastating special troops.

Speaking of which, Empire characters cant seem to fight worth a damn. They're fair for their point costs, but there's no model that can stand up against the biggest enemies. Maybe Helborg, or Franz, but they're named, and they're expensive. I was thinking of having an Arch Lector help them, with rerolls and a 4+ ward save to tip things my way.

Or do I have this wrong? My previous armies loved challenges between Lords, but maybe its just not the Empires thing.
-Commander Jay

"If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Re: For the Empire!

Postby J Rzasa » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:11 pm

I'm not sure about Empire troops, but I know Goblins fight ridiculously well in a horde. Having a unit that is LD 7 or 8, with a WS 3 and an S of 4, thats a good horde. I'm not sure how many points a unit of 40-50 is, but having 1 or two in your army would be good. Then you could slap detachments on the sides and hammer them. At 40-50 strong, you will probably still out rank the enemy, unless its a big 5x10 unit or something, with 10 ranks. But at that point, you're probably winning in sheer casualties caused. Especially with detachments, as a detachment removes all there ranks, I believe even for Steadfast calculations.

~J

Commander_Jay
Lord Requisitioner

Postby Commander_Jay » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:26 pm

I cant remove Steadfast with flanking, it can only be removed by having equal or more ranks than your enemy.

I'm surprised gobbos do well. I mean, you'll get lots of attacks, but at WS2 S3. Mine will be nearly the same, so I'll be hopeful. My spears cost 2 more points per model, but have WS3, and better leadership, etc. I think I may prefer a halberd horde, because 40 of them with full command are only 220 points.
-Commander Jay

"If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:47 pm

The gobbos do really well because of Fanatic Hits and Nets, which take down the Strength of the attacker. The Fanatics thin out the ranks.

Wow... 220 points for 40? Thats pretty decent, I'd do a unit or 3 of those.

~J

Commander_Jay
Lord Requisitioner

Postby Commander_Jay » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Yeah, they are nice. For another 90 I can add swordsmen to swing the combat 4 points in my favor (flanking ftw!). And warrior priests or lectors give them hatred, so then I'll have 30 halberd attacks rerolling hits. But all told the unit would then be 450. But the Lector is nice.

I do love fanatics and nets though. I always feel stupid wounding goblins on a 5+...
-Commander Jay

Return to “Empire”