DWARVES!

Commander_Jay
Lord Requisitioner

DWARVES!

Postby Commander_Jay » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:15 pm

My favorite, who else has em?

I'd love some new things though. Right now it just great weapon warriors and hammerers.

I'd love some heavy cav, or a giant monster.

Or allies! If they do them.
-Commander Jay

"If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Re: DWARVES!

Postby J Rzasa » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:31 pm

I have em. Still in boxes until the codex comes out, and maybe until 9th edition comes out. I don't want to put them together and then find out the tactics all changed.

It doesn't sound like from rumors that we're going to get anything in the way of Cav. It sounds like a giant Warmachine, like a Steam Tank but more Dwarfy.

But I'd love some new plastic kits.

~J

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:04 pm

A nice looking, plastic Longbeard kit would be on my wish list. I have twenty of the metal ones pained up, but I built them for 6th/7th edition, so they all have great weapons and shields. So, y'know, a waste of points in 8th. I'm kind of hoping 9th edition gives us back the choice of weaponry when combat starts. Then shields are actually worth it when you have a great weapon or halberd.

And cab would be nice, but I don't see it happening. It's never been in the army book fluff or the BL stuff. Better war machines or some sort of magical abilities would be nice. Also a unit that gets more than one attack a piece would be cool too. Oh, and Slayers that can actually, y'know, SLAY monsters would be helpful, especially given how prolific monstrous infantry is now.

Do you think 9th ed will bring allies into fantasy play? If so, a bunch of Bret or Imperial knights would make for a great addition. Core choices, to boot!
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

J Rzasa
Archmagos Veneratus

Postby J Rzasa » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:57 pm

The rumors I'm seeing are full plastic kits for every unit. No finecast, no metal. Longbeards and Rangers are supposedly the dual kit. Iron Breakers/Hammers are another. Slayers are supposed to get an upgrade unit that will supposedly have multiple attacks. I've seen no real rules though. Fantasy seems to have a much tighter lid on it than 40k.

I could see them putting in "Monstrous Calvary" that are really Dwarves in some sort of War Engine. It's not the dumbest thing they've ever done.

I firmly expect 9th edition Fantasy to have an Ally chart like 40k. It is simply too successful in 40k. My only fear is that too many armies won't be able to ally with other armies, like no one will Ally with Lizardmen, or Khemri. But it could be kinda cool to add a Chaos unit or two to my Orcs, or to add some Elves or Empire or even Brettonians to Dwarves. I'd love to field some Gors in my Orcs.

~J

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:37 pm

Allies in fantasy would be terrible. One of the big differences between 40k and fantasy was how different each fantasy army was. Dwarfs are slow and sturdy, but throw in a unit of Bret knights and that gets rid of their major drawback. Chaos with some elvish bolt throwers would be pretty crazy too. The only way I could see it possible would be to impose a points increase to allied units.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

Commander_Jay
Lord Requisitioner

Postby Commander_Jay » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:23 pm

Most armies dont have draw backs any more. They all are getting a monster, heavy cav, chariots, altars, war machines, etc.

Plus, if allies couldnt benefit from your leadership or banners, it would be a good balance measure. 40K doesnt have as much leadership rolls, while in Fantasy its all about the leadership tests.
-Commander Jay

"If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:44 pm

They really are eliminating army weaknesses at this point. They're making them all very similar, which I don't really like. Jonah really hit the nail on the head - pretty much every army that's been re-released in the last few years gets monstrous infantry and/or monstrous cav and one gigantic new monster. Sure, Chaos doesn't have any decent shooting instead of the Hellcannon (or Chaos Dwarves, if allowed), but magic is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more powerful than shooting in most situations anyway. I mean, Dwarf war machines can chew up low T infantry and knock out big monsters, but not nearly as well as Dwellers, Purple Sun, Pit of Shades, etc.

Dwarf infantry is a bit problematic, too. It's extremely slow and has very few attacks. The only way to make it truly effective is to take a giant block (think the 50-strong unit of GW Longbeards I rock), but it's so expensive. That single unit is my entire Core requirement (so 625+) and only has the same number of attacks in horde formation as a unit of Chaos Warriors of Khorne seven wide. I've never had a tourney game where I didn't lose half the unit.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

Return to “Dwarfs”