Good all-around Tau army?

PhobosAres
Whiteshield

Good all-around Tau army?

Postby PhobosAres » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:38 pm

Hey, I have been working on my Tau army and have some questions.

I have the following units:

1 Crisis Commander w/Fire knife
3 Stealthsuits (1 Fusion Blaster + Drone Controller)
24 Fire Warriors (2 Drone Controllers, 10 Pulse Rifles, 4 Pulse Carbines, Leader EMP)
8 Gun Drones (All Pulse Carbines)
1 Marker Drone (With marker)
1 Piranha (Fusion Blaster)

I have 2 fusion blasters fielded in my entire tau army, one on the piranha and one on the Stealth suit team leader. I also have 4 Pulse Carbines for my Fire Warriors, and the rest is pulse rifles. I did some research and figured out that the Tau crisis suits are best armed with the Fire knife config (Multi-tracker, Rocket Launcher, and a plasma rifle). One thing that had me curious though is if I should get a tank now for the Tau army?

Opinions?
The Golden Throne is failing? This is WHY the Imperium should have went with Throne insurance..

Dark age of painting: The age in someone's life when they completely forgot how they painted their unfinished army, thus resulting in imrpovisation of techniques trying to match the old way as best as they can..

"I am just saying that the Chaos Space Marines aren't the type of people i'd sit down and have a beer with.."

whytwolf
Lord General

Re: Good all-around Tau army?

Postby whytwolf » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:23 am

I would drop the stealth suits and add more Battle suits. I try to max out the number of Battle suits because they are really the best overall unit.

Stealth Suits are a one-trick pony and too expensive in a small game.

Another thing I would recommend is buying Devilfish to keep your Fire Warriors safe. If they get into close combat, they are dead.

Hammerheads are another must. S10 Railgun will shred almost anything, and having the submunitions option for infantry makes it very versitile.

I like Shield Drones because they have a 4+ invuln save which will frustrate your opponents heavy weapons squads.

If you are ever around Off The Wall on a Wed., look me up, I'd be glad to give you more advice on Tau.

Barring that, ask away here and I (and others) will try and answer your questions.

Oh, and check out http://www.advancedtautactica.com, one of the best Tau resources out there.

That's it off the top of my head.

-Brian
"It is the way of Fenris. We stay as long as we can. We fight as hard as we can. Kill as much as we can. Only when we can do no more, do we move on."

PhobosAres
Whiteshield

Postby PhobosAres » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:35 am

Thanks for the information. I will be going there on wednesday. What time will you be there?
The Golden Throne is failing? This is WHY the Imperium should have went with Throne insurance..

Dark age of painting: The age in someone's life when they completely forgot how they painted their unfinished army, thus resulting in imrpovisation of techniques trying to match the old way as best as they can..

"I am just saying that the Chaos Space Marines aren't the type of people i'd sit down and have a beer with.."

Galaan
Whiteshield

Postby Galaan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:39 am

also, nothing beats getting some proxies and your army out, bashing some 'eads... and seeing which were the bashiest! =)

whytwolf
Lord General

Postby whytwolf » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:27 am

I usually get there around 6ish.

If you want to try a different configuration some time, I could bring my Tau with me on a Wed night.

I'll try and draw up a list of what I have if you want to take a crack at making a different list.
"It is the way of Fenris. We stay as long as we can. We fight as hard as we can. Kill as much as we can. Only when we can do no more, do we move on."

PhobosAres
Whiteshield

Postby PhobosAres » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:34 am

I will probably get there at 4:00. Still going through the codex trying to memorize the tau rules. Also, I am reading the 5th ed rulebook at the same time. Since I haven't really played 5th edition I have to learn the new stuff as well as reinforcing on the exsisting rules.

As far as the Tau goes, I like the idea of having skimmers like piranhas. I only have one of them as stated, but need to use it in a live game to see if I like it. I will probably pick up some more crisis suits in the long run, and definately field at least one Hammerhead.

Update: Looks like western MA is getting hit hard with snow soon, though I will try my best to show up.

I was also considering getting broadsides, any opinions on those?

Return to “Tau Empire”