Necron Rumors from Yakface`

Dez
Storm Trooper

Necron Rumors from Yakface`

Postby Dez » Sun May 01, 2011 8:27 pm

Yakface is the owner of Dakka Dakka and also helps write (read: wrote and playtests) some of the GW FAQ's. These are the words from his mouth, so to speak:

Hello everyone,

I have gotten my hands on some fairly solid Necron rumors. I say they are fairly solid because the source I got them from has proved reliable in the past, however the rumors themselves are indeed 2nd hand (I didn't see the codex myself), and therefore I can't personally verify any of this. That also means if you have any more questions on anything I (probably) won't be able to provide you with any more details (as I don't have them).

Anyway here goes:

1) No surprise here, but Necrons are still essentially Tomb Kings in space fluff wise. A shift in fluff is now that all of the higher up necrons are intelligent while the lower level ones are still basically automatons. I guess that's roughly the same as it used to be, but apparently there is more emphasis in the sentience of the higher Necrons now (hence the named Lords).

2) C'Tan are still in the codex...sort of. They have been moved to the Elites section and are now a single unit choice, but with variable upgrade powers you can take.

3) We'll be Back is no longer called that and it is NOT Feel No Pain. Basically it is a 5+ bonus save similar to Feel No Pain, but doesn't get cancelled out by double strength, AP1/2, etc. In addition, this save is made at the END of the phase after morale tests are taken. If the unit is wiped out or is falling back at the end of the phase, then the save cannot be used. So as an opponent, if you manage to wipe the unit out or make them fall back, then you prevent any Necrons from getting back up...unless the unit has something called the 'ever-living' rule, in which case it gets to attempt this save even if the unit is wiped out.

4) Gauss Weaponry does NOT have rending. It retains the 'auto-glance' on a penetration roll of a '6' rule, but apparently otherwise has lost the 'auto-wound' on a roll of a '6' regardless of Toughness that it used to have. The Gauss Cannon is now apparently Assault 2 & AP3 (I'm assuming the Strength is still 6). The Gaus Flux Arc on the Monolith no longer automatically hits every unit within range, instead each one fires separately and can hit four different targets.

5) Phase out is gone.

6) Destroyers now count as jump infantry and there is a new Fast Attack Jetbike unit called Tomb Blades.

7) Immortals are now a Troops choice. Pariahs are gone. Flayed Ones are Elites.

8) There are indeed 6 named characters (although I have no more info on them). There is also a Necron Overlord and a bodyguard unit called Crypteks. Crypteks can be split off before the game to lead units of Necrons, very similar to Wolf Guard in the Space Wolves codex. Crypteks can take a bunch of different technology upgrades, so there is kind of a way now to have personalized squad leaders in a Necron army.

9) They army is much more mobile now in general. They have several units of jump troops, and 2 new transport vehicles. 1 transport can carry 15 necrons while another can carry 10. Jump pack units count as 2 models and jetbikes count as 5. The one that holds 10 is able to recover casualties to a unit (although can't take it beyond its starting strength). Necron vehicles besides the monolith are open-topped skimmers. However they have something called 'Quantum shielding' which gives their front & side armor +2 until the vehicle takes its first glance/pen, at which point it loses the shielding. One of these two transports (not sure which one) is apparently a personal transport for the Lord (and his retinue).

10) There are six new vehicles in the codex (including the two transports mentioned above). Two of which seem to be based around this old Jes Goodwin design: http://storage.canalblog.com/29/28/731795/53057637.jpg

11) In general Necrons have a lot more long ranged fire support. There is also a new weapon type called Tesla weapons. These weapons, on a roll of '6' to hit automatically cause two more hits. The biggest version of the Tesla weapons has a chance of hitting all other units close to the target; both friend and foe. One of the new vehicles carries the doomsday cannon: 72" S9 AP1 Heavy 1 large blast. BS4.

12) In the Elites section there is a big new walker. It has a heat ray that that is either a melta or flamer depending on what you want to do. Any unit hit by this vehicle is marked (as in: laser targeted), which means that all other necrons count as being twin-linked for shooting at the marked enemy unit that turn.

And that's it! Kind of all over the place and certainly not a full snapshot of the codex, but a lot of these things are completely opposite from many of the other rumors I've seen out there.
What aims do the Orks have? What is the point of a tornado?

Fighting E.G.A.D.D Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder

I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness.
ADB

Xelloss
Whiteshield

Re: Necron Rumors from Yakface`

Postby Xelloss » Sun May 01, 2011 8:51 pm

...It would appear I have to get ready to buy a LOT of stuff when that 'dex hits the shelves.
Everyone is insane, its only a matter who's more obvious about it.

There are no "good guys"; everyone's a jerk, especially you.

Kinne
Master of the Administratum

Postby Kinne » Sun May 01, 2011 9:20 pm

Xelloss wrote:...It would appear I have to get ready to buy a LOT of stuff when that 'dex hits the shelves.

Par for the course whenever a non-Marine army gets re-released. Sounds pretty solid, though. I've always liked the Necrons, but their flat play style always bothered me too much to use them.
"Every man is a spark in the darkness. By the time he is noticed, he is gone forever; a retinal after image that soon fades and is obscured by newer, brighter lights."

whytwolf
Lord General

Postby whytwolf » Sun May 01, 2011 9:55 pm

Not surprised that Pariahs are gone. Did anyone really use them?

Coincidentally I was reading this as I was taking a break from assembling my Necron Phalanx. :D

New transports and heavy weapons option sounds great! My wallet is weeping openly now, but in a good way.

BTW: I've been reading Fall of Damnos and so far I am really digging the little peeks at the Necrons. The book sort of got my juices flowing and teased me into working on them.
"It is the way of Fenris. We stay as long as we can. We fight as hard as we can. Kill as much as we can. Only when we can do no more, do we move on."

orkwarboss
Storm Trooper

Postby orkwarboss » Sun May 01, 2011 10:28 pm

whytwolf wrote:
Coincidentally I was reading this as I was taking a break from assembling my Necron Phalanx. :D

good luck with that model ive heard its a hair puller of a good time
Lion El’ Johnson – This one is an oldie but a goodie. Turns out he was a poet from the Victorian era who wrote a poem called ‘The Dark Angel’. He also was rumored to have quite the secret for those times.

Commander_Jay wrote:On the plus side, some of the rules and attacks are hilarious. My Gyrocopter can tilt its rotors and cut through people like a homicidal kitchen blender.

whytwolf
Lord General

Postby whytwolf » Mon May 02, 2011 7:58 am

I'll have to look up the model you refer to, but what I was referring to is an army box I bought off of Ebay a while back that came with a lord, Monolith, 4 squads of warriors, 6 destroyers and scarabs. I didn't calculate the points but is probably ~1500 points in the box.
"It is the way of Fenris. We stay as long as we can. We fight as hard as we can. Kill as much as we can. Only when we can do no more, do we move on."

Inquisitor Wall
Command Squad

Postby Inquisitor Wall » Mon May 02, 2011 12:13 pm

Im curious about the C'Tan as an elite option? Seems a bit odd, and Id hate to face 3 in a game.
The strong survive. The weak perish.
Wyrd Henchman
Memphis Marauders 2013, 2014 Valley Blood Bowl Cup Champions!!!

orkwarboss
Storm Trooper

Postby orkwarboss » Mon May 02, 2011 12:17 pm

whytwolf wrote:I'll have to look up the model you refer to, but what I was referring to is an army box I bought off of Ebay a while back that came with a lord, Monolith, 4 squads of warriors, 6 destroyers and scarabs. I didn't calculate the points but is probably ~1500 points in the box.

sorry i was refering to the monolith
Lion El’ Johnson – This one is an oldie but a goodie. Turns out he was a poet from the Victorian era who wrote a poem called ‘The Dark Angel’. He also was rumored to have quite the secret for those times.

Commander_Jay wrote:On the plus side, some of the rules and attacks are hilarious. My Gyrocopter can tilt its rotors and cut through people like a homicidal kitchen blender.

Tex
Whiteshield

Postby Tex » Mon May 02, 2011 6:58 pm

I have been playing Necrons for a number of years now and I love them. I agree with others that they can be a bit tedious to play due to a lack of variety. The new codex seems to address that central concern. Like Greywolf, my wallet is already screaming. I have been looking to expand an army and the Necrons look like they will be a solid choice for such a project. Yeah, I have 10 Pariahs. They are one of those units that looked great on paper but never really panned out. At 36pts a model and no "we'll be back", you had to run into terminators (without claws) to have them be effective. Other than that, Immortals were a far better option.
Badges?! We don't need no stinkin' Badges!

Xelloss
Whiteshield

Postby Xelloss » Tue May 03, 2011 1:08 pm

I'm worried we're gonna get the Eldar treatment. Get all the nerfed stuff of 5th, while still being tweaked for 6th. Basically well have 6 months of fun before being sub-par. Still, it can't get much worse then it is now. At the very least I'm really hoping they won't be as boring to play anymore.
Everyone is insane, its only a matter who's more obvious about it.

There are no "good guys"; everyone's a jerk, especially you.

Return to “Necrons”